Resources: Hearing
Finding a Certified Audiologist
or Self-help Group

Have your hearing tested by an audiologist …

Limit periods of exposure to noise; for example, if you are at a rock concert, walk out for a while – give your ears a break. Be aware of the noise in your environment and take control of it when you can. Your county may have a local noise ordinance. Find out what you can do in your community to advocate for quiet. For example, some high schools have set a decibel limit for the music played at school dances to protect the students' hearing. An audiologist can measure sound levels at a specific location and make recommendations for keeping sound levels safe.

What resources are available to me if I think I have a
hearing problem?

For an evaluation of hearing abilities, an audiologist should be contacted. When hearing loss is the result of current disease, or if a medical problem is suspected, a physician should be seen. The audiologist you select should be licensed by the state of NJ and hold a Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA).

2015 New Jersey Speech-Language-Hearing Association | All rights reserved.