National Autism Awareness Month
April, National Autism Awareness Month, provides an opportunity for speech-language pathologists and hearing scientists working with individuals diagnosed with autism to raise awareness and share resources in their neighborhoods, workplaces, schools and local communities. Become a NJSHA Autism Ambassador by getting involved and partaking in activities that support the autism community.
The following are some helpful tips, tools and inspiration to get you started and evolved:
Libraries are a place to find information and a community gathering place for both children and adults. Below are some activities you can chose from: https://www.autismnj.org/hub/community
- Read your favorite book on the topic of autism https://www.pinterest.com/autismnj/books-about-autism/
- Share Posters with information about autism https://www.pinterest.com/pin/88172105183496935/
Community and Workplace
- Share, highlight and purchase brochures, pins, bookmarks, stickers and other autism related supplies https://www.asha.org/eweb/OLSDynamicPage.aspx?title=Speech-Language+Pathologists+%26+Your+Child+With+Autism&webcode=olsdetails
- Print out and laminate more Autism Awareness bookmarks.
- Attend an autism awareness event in your area. https://autismnj.org/event_calendar
- Offer to present on the topic of Autism to your local community, families and colleagues.
- Learn about what’s new in Autism research and the DSM-5 http://www.asha.org/PRPSpecificTopic.aspx?folderid=8589935303§ion=Overview
- Share resources on Autism http://www.asatonline.org/research-treatment/resources/
- Volunteer in your local Autism Community Groups:
- Fundraise to your favorite Autism Charity Association to enhance research and support the science for treating autism
- Share an article that is of interest to you and post it on Facebook and Twitter.
- Attend a workshop or conference on the topic of Autism
**Please note, we have no direct affiliation with any of the businesses mentioned here (except our website). NJSHA receives NO compensation from any of these vendors, websites or businesses.