May is Better Hearing and Speech Month!
Join our NJSHA colleagues as we celebrate Better Hearing and Speech Month (BHSM) throughout May.
- ASHA’s BHSM materials including free graphics, posters, press releases and fact sheet in English and Spanish.
- Better Hearing and Speech Month is here and the BHSM page https://www.asha.org/bhsm/ has started to feature this year’s postings. Among them is registration information for Speaking Up For Communication, the digital campaign that runs throughout May and last year engaged the most ASHA members ever, more than 5,500. Registration is free and participants can register at any point between now and the end of May.
- May is Better Hearing and Speech Month! Celebrate Better Speech and Hearing Month
What Is an Audiologist? What is a Speech-Language Pathologist?
All from: Super Duper’s Handy Handouts
- BHSM Resource Round-Up—lots of hands-on creations to distribute tostados and students. https://thespeechroomnews.com/2016/03/bhsm-resource-round-up.html
- Speech & Language Scavenger Hunt (Stay At Home version) https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Speech-Language-Scavenger-Hunt-Stay-At-Home-version-5449724
- Teachers Pay Teachers—tons of free resource packets from many talented speech-language pathologists with too many ideas, activities, and reproducible materials to fill the month and help you get the word out! https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Browse/Search:better%20hearing%20and%20speech%20month%20handouts/Price-Range/Free
- 110 Better Hearing and Speech Month Ideas
- Sound of Metal – A heavy metal drummer suddenly loses his hearing after a live performance. His girlfriend takes him to a rehab center for the deaf to deal with his addiction and sudden deafness. The character, Ruben, learns about deaf culture, sign language and later receives a cochlear implant. Rated R for-language, addition, mental health. Available on Amazon Prime.
- CODA – 2022 Oscar Award for Best Picture at Academy Awards. The movie tells the story of a teenage girl’s responsibilities being the only hearing member in her deaf family. Available on Apple TV and in some local movie theaters.
- We Hear You Now Hear Us – Documentary about hearing loss, bringing awareness to the world. Rated Best Film on Disability in the June 2021 awards of the Cannes World Film Festival. Only available on Vimeo On Demand. we-hearyou.com